Monday 18 November 2013

18th November 2013

So here I am sitting in Cleveland, Ohio sheltering from the storm that's been taking out trees, lampposts and worst of all people over the last 24 hours across the mid-west. The finishing line for my trip is now in sight and that would be fine if it wasn't for the fact the cooperative I most wanted to visit on this trip are refusing to respond to any of my enquiries. They're called Evergreen and are based here in Cleveland. I even doorstepped them today, well at least tried to and didn't even manage to get them to answer the door. Still I can't get too hung up on it, my stay here has been excellent otherwise with my host David making sure I've been able to see all aspects of this somewhat paradoxical city.


Yesterday between finishing articles for my website that is almost ready for launch we visited the City Art Gallery here. We arrived via a park that was built around the same time by the guy who masterminded the design of this Central park in New York. The milder weather here than back west in Chicago meant the leaves still bore their autumnal canopy and as with central park the naturalistic contours draw the eye across green lawns garnished in the golden leaves, yet to mulch up and fade to brown. The gallery is one of the best I've ever visited and included a ton of my favourite artists work including some really great Picasso, Manet, Miro, Dali and many, many more. The gallery and the other museums in the area tells the story of this city. They were for the most part built when the town was rich with industry and tycoons saw fit to bequeath their wealth, at least part of it in the noble cause of the arts. Building a natural history museum, planetarium, botanical gardens and a few other palatial buildings of one sort or another. But rather than reflecting the city's more recent demise these buildings represent its response. The gallery we visited has been wrapped in a new building with a now vast atrium that housed some really cool Ai Weiwei sculptures of the zodiac animals and a sweeping glass ceiling. Its not entirely unreminiscent of the great courtyard in the british museum. There's also a nearby Frank Gehry building and a gallery of contemporary art called Mocca designed by Zia Habib. It all feels a long way from my first impression of the city on arrival a few days ago. The city's centre feels hollowed out and I suppose this is the same thing that's happened more infamously in Detroit, maybe just not quite so catastrophically.


Before my arrival here in Cleveland I spent a few days in Chicago and though I enjoyed my stay there wasn't a whole lot of time to adjust to the city's rhythm (I think it takes a more time the bigger the city) not helped by the schedule of work related stuff that ate up most of my time. Not that I should complain as the visits and interviews I conducted with New Era Window Coop were some of the best I've conducted to date. And I still managed to spend a day walking around the centre of town taking in the skyline and heading up Willis Tower (formerly Sears Tower) and enjoying its views across the city and east over lake Michigan. Wish I had more to say about Chicago but like I said I just didn't feel as though I had the time to properly absorb it.


Here in Cleveland another little revelation has been a couple of visits I've enjoyed to one of David's favourite hangouts his friend's bookshop and 'zine archive called The Guide to Kulchur. Its owned an operated by his friend and poet, novelist, artist and all-round creative RA Washington. He and David are the sort of friends who its nice to observe in full flow, they're both very different in may regards but share a deep sense of compassion for humanity and more importantly one another. Last night we attended a book, well two book launches in the basement of the store where there's a super cool performance space. One of the books was RA's latest novel which I think had a pretty auto-biographical streak and was read with a a great deal of gusto (good gusto before and definitely not the more pompous flavour). After a rather avant-garde local band performed a couple of songs the other launchee read a few of his short stories. They were like nothing I've known and a sufficient description evades me right now. I expect I'll have to buy his book and spend a little more time digesting them...



Anyway, next stop NYC and the smiling faces of Bandguy, Stacey and their brood. 

No comments:

Post a Comment