Wednesday 16 October 2013

16th October 2013

I'm writing this blog sitting in the Twedes diner in North Bend perhaps better known as the RR diner in Twin Peaks. I guess this is as close to a pilgrimage as it comes for an atheist like me? While Twedes interior may not be quite as enchanting as it was on the show nor the waitress quite as sexy as Shelly Johnson I'm definitely feeling a little tingly. I travelled here by bus from Seattle this morning and my plan is to walk around and see the a few of the sites and sounds that are so familiar to a Twin Peaks fan like me.


Since my last post I've left Eugene behind and arrived in Seattle on route to Vancouver before I finally kiss the Pacific coast goodbye and start my journey across the continent to the bright lights of New York city. I spent my last couple of days in Eugene being a little more social than the earlier part of my stay and sampled a few of the local wares, not least of all the beer. Eugene and more generally the northwest (Oregon and Washington states) enjoy the perfect conditions to grow hops and there are more breweries operating in these parts than anywhere else in the world. Eugene a relatively small city has more than three breweries all offering a vast range of beers. Last Thursday I visited the Ninkasi brewery (apparently she was the Sumerian goddess of beer) where there is a shiny new tasting room attached to the brewery and its full range of regular and one off beers are available.


Eugene not only provided me with delicious beer it also perhaps more surprisingly served up some of the best pizza I've ever eaten in a restaurant called Sizzle Pie. Its located in the heart of downtown just opposite Ken Kessey of The Merry Pranksters fame (see Tom Wolfe's – Electric Kool Aid Acid Test if you're not sure who he or the Pranksters were). They offer slices, salads or entire pizzas who's proportions are on a par with the restaurant's tables. As well as pizza I enjoyed a visit to a Japanese cocktail bar and restaurant who served up great octopus and Japanese mules (not sure what goes into this cocktail but it was spicy, sharp and delicious).


I arrived in Seattle late Sunday night under cover of darkness which appears to be my default mode of entry into nearly every city I visit. Monday revealed a clean and spacious town with far fewer homeless than I'd grown accustomed to in San Francisco and Eugene. My hostel is close to the waterfront in the Belltown district (not saying much in such a watery city where the Puget sound and associated waterways weave between the city street). It feels like an industrious sort of place and is home to some of the biggest names in business, Boeing, Microsoft and Starbucks to name but a few. It also marks the base of operations for the USA's northern Pacific fishing fleet who can be assured of shelter from the stormy winters in the sound. This in turn explain the number of seafood restaurants I've spotted around here and the burly looking guys wearing flannel shirts who an American guy I was speaking with in a nearby dive bar explained were fisherman.


Yesterday I visited the EMP (Experience Music Project) – a huge museum for contemporary music that was paid for by Paul Allen of Microsoft fame (or is that infamy?) designed by Frank Geary (he of the Guggenheim in Bilbao). Its located just beneath the space needle so finding it wasn't a problem. I believe the exhibitions change around a little but happily the four on offer yesterday were all phenomenal. The first order of business was the Jimi Hendrix exhibit. I'd heard thorough the grapevine Allen had originally commissioned the museum to serve as a Hendrix museum but his family who control his estate refused. I'm not sure if this is myth or reality – either way I was happy they had an exhibit official or not. The exhibition basically told the story of Jimi's time in London where he first became a star. It succeeded in transporting me to the Swinging London with its mixture of artefacts (can I call a guitar form 1967 an artefact?) and interactive audio-visual pieces. There were of course the obligatory smashed guitars as well as a few in better repair and standing next to them you do feel a sense of being closer to Jimi. The same goes for Kurt Cobain who's biography was detailed in an even more comprehensive manner in the exhibition on grunge and the Seattle music scene that was in part curated by Chris Novacek formerly of Nirvana. I know both Kurt and Jimi are members of the 27 club but there was something much more somber about Cobain's history. Perhaps its just that stark reality of blowing your brains out with a shotgun as opposed to choking inadvertently on your own vomit? Or maybe its the music each made? I'm really not sure. The two remaining exhibitions – The Hall of Guitars and an area upstairs where you can play guitar, bass, drums and keyboards – scratch DJ or produce a Eurythmics track provided some lighter entertainment. All tolled I spent around four hours in there, a time I think bettered only by the Met in NYC in my history of museum going. And if you ever get to Seattle you have to check it out.



I'm going to have slice of cherry pie now before heading over to the Great Northern hotel and the location of the Twin Peaks title credits vista. Tomorrow its Vancouver where once again I'll arrive in the dark of night, unless of course Bob gets me (TP fans only)...

No comments:

Post a Comment