Saturday 7 September 2013

Wednesday 4th September

We climbed to Yosemite point today, approximately 3,000ft (914m) above the valley floor. We managed to do it in a very respectable five hours in 90 something degrees fahrenheit (34 oC) – given the estimate the guide book provided of six – seven hours. The climb amongst the cliffs that mark the north side of Yosemite valley rise up from the forest and wild pastures of the valley floor below like stone guardians watching over Eden. Our ascent up steep hairpins, skirting up the side of the sheer granite cliffs, laid out in Granite dust, stone and slab (I cannot imagine the efforts of those men who forged this trail) was exhausting but the views of the valley as we climbed ever higher through tree lined trails took my breath away. Many of the trees sheltering the path appeared to be clenching the granite rocks making it impossible to discern whether the trees held the granite in place or vice versa? As we passed through ever more regular periods without shade, the rock face we somehow spiral refuses even the most pushy of trees is reflects the sunlight with brights greys, golds and slate colours marking times slow advance. I felt as if I was walking in some Tolkienesque world. As I understand it the Yosemite valley was formed thanks to some sort of massive rift in seemingly impregnable granite. The views of this rift inspire an emotional response and strangely I found myself reflecting on not just this tear in the earth before me but another much smaller one I saw in the Tate Modern some years ago. I suppose both are in some ways microcosms for so much in the world. Chris once more very kindly took responsibility for the photography and they are sensational! I'm especially glad we have them as I don't think I have worlds to describe what only the eye can behold.




Its late evening now and I'm starting to feel a little more together But I readily admit that today's expedition took me to my physical limit. Happily all of the things that stopped working (blistered feet, sore knee, mild dehydration all reserved arrival for the very moment we arrived back at the car. I never thought I'd say it but thank goodness for Gatoraide a large infusion helped regather most if not quite all my composure, topped off with a fantastic burger cooked on the fire by Chris sealed the deal and I'm now tucked up in bed ready for a deep dreamy sleep (its around 10pm) as I listen to our neighbours speak spanish - which is sure to bring good dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment